by: Tehila Mörtl
Financial assistance available to seniors
Being recently widowed has been emotionally devastating and, practically speaking, financially challenging. Between losing the primary source of income along with accumulated medical bills; well, one has only to imagine. I make mention of these facts because trying to keep up with home repairs and modifications can seem impossible. On top of pipes breaking, I’ve needed to replace the stairway in front of our home with a ramp. Then, as the old saying goes when it rains it pours, such is true having three major appliances break back-to-back. The big question then was what to address first and where to turn for assistance?
Where to obtain financial assistance for senior
Though perhaps not widely known there are numerous resources available to seniors and the disabled through grants, loans and other entitlements. For instance, the government, be it local or national, offers home improvement loan programs. Worried you might not qualify? These programs assist lenders in making such loans which banks and other traditional lenders might not otherwise approve. As you begin to delve into available options, following are some agencies, etc. which offer much needed assistance. Please keep in mind that while some are national programs others, will be confined to the local area:
- Department of Public Welfare
- Local Agency on Aging
- State Department on Aging
- U.S. Department of Energy’s Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program
- Weatherization Assistance Programs
- Energy.gov/Savings – state related tax credits, rebates, etc.
- Remodeling Contractors who offer sliding scale or reduced rates to Seniors
- Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD)
- Department of Health and Human Services, Eldercare locator site
- For those with disabilities, local vocational rehabilitation service office
- Department of Veterans Affairs Home Loan Services for Veterans
- National Resource Center on Supportive Housing and Home Modification
- National Directory of Home Modification and Repair
How home modifications and repairs can assist in aging in place
While arranging for and overseeing home modifications and repairs can be time consuming and a challenge, I cannot begin to imagine giving up the lovely home and surroundings we chose together. When making such choices, think long and hard about what best meets your needs. Secure assistance where needed to maintain your independence as such help does exist so that you too may continue to enjoy your life and the environment in which you live.
Thank you for visiting Advise & Protect Senior Care Consultants in our discussion on How to Fund Home Modifications and Improvement. Please check back as we continue exploring other elder. Meanwhile, please remember that many of our services are offered free of charge so, should you have questions, we encourage you to give us a call at 646-820-9202 and speak with one of our Senior Care Consultants. They will be able to answer any questions you might have to begin the process.