by: Tehila Mörtl
As we continue in the discussion moving elders, I would like to address additional information on senior moving services. To begin with, one might wish to be aware that assistance can be had with all of the following and then some:
· Organizing, sorting and downsizing
· Customizing a floor plan for the new living arrangements; which, allows one’s elder to visualize where their belongings will fit
· Arranging an auction, estate sale, consignment sales, donations, or an assortment of such preparations
· Interviewing, scheduling and overseeing a senior moving service
· Arranging any necessary shipment and storage
· Supervision of packing professionals
· Unpacking and organizing elders home and helping to establish where one’s belonging best fit
· Procuring the services of a realtor
· Overseeing cleaning and waste removal of prior home and generally preparing home for sale
· Senior escort
· Securing medical equipment
Things to look for when choosing a Moving Company/Senior Moving Services in NY
In-state movers should be licensed with the State Department of Transportation, Bureau of Consumer Affairs or State Association. Out-of-state movers should be licensed with the Federal Department of Transportation. Avoid movers that do not show U.S. DOT numbers and brokers that do not show Motor Carrier (MC) numbers in their advertisements.
It is wise to check with the Better Business Bureau to see if the mover has filed against them and how many.
Location of Business
Verify the mover has a legitimate place of business (i.e. official business address/location)
Obtain a written estimate, including a breakdown of all fees, from at least three moving companies. Senior moving services is selected, you and/or your elder should be able given a signed Order of Service that includes dates for loading and delivery.
Professional moving companies should carry Worker’s Compensation insurance for all employees. Further, beware of employees who speak ill of other moving companies or utilize high pressure tactics
In addition, prior to hiring any seniors moving services, ensure that you are familiar with Your Rights and Responsibilities When You Move which is information your mover or broker is required to provide.
Never sign blank or incomplete documents.
Avoid a common pitfall for consumers, make sure you completely understand the type of liability you authorize. For instance, one might ask, “Is 60 cents per pound is enough coverage for all my or my elder’s household goods should damage occur?”
The caregiver, a family member or designated individual should be present to supervise loading and unloading of belongings.
Whether you are ready to move as quickly as possible or you are just starting to think about this as an option, we encourage you to give us a call at 646-820-9202 and speak with one of our senior care consultants about Senior Moving Services. They will be able to assist you with making all the necessary arrangements and answer any questions you might have to begin the process. Most of the services we provide for our elderly clients and their families are completely free since we work on referral basis with firms we trust. If you are in NYC, Brooklyn, Queens, Staten Island or the Bronx please get in touch with us to learn how we can help you today.